Thursday, April 10, 2008

In writing this entry, I am forced to admit that I’m an American Idol watcher. I love nothing more than watching people succeed. And I am one that cheers on the underdog, while still wanting the best contestant to win. So, being an Idol cheerleader, I had to watch "Idol Gives Back". Maybe I felt like a good cry, because I certainly knew THAT was going to happen!

We were able to fast forward through some of the performances, but what I wanted to see were the stories. It’s the stories that change my heart and ultimately my life.

Neil Bortz made an interesting observation about last night's "Idol Gives Back". As he said, giving "back" insinuates you have been given something and are returning it, as opposed to earning what you have and then giving to those in need.

That struck a cord with me. I wanted to take this opportunity to once again thank everyone who has given to Rhyan’s Hope in the last few months and those who are considering donating in the future to know how much we appreciate each and every hard earned dollar given.

Last night while I was trying to sleep (in my comfortable bed in a house that protects me, with my children fed and sleeping peacefully in the next rooms), the faces of those hungry, poor, orphaned children kept surfacing. I talked to Jesus about it and I told Him all the things I want. And this is it.

I want to be the kind of person that any child can look at and know by my eyes that I love them dearly just because they are.

I want to have a heart that breaks when I see others hurting.

I want to hug easily.

I want to do something about the pain and injustice that I see.

I want to hold every child that I saw last night in my heart, in my mind and in my prayers.

I want to love unconditionally, with a pristine heart.

I want to make sure that I never judge others, even when others around me do.

I want to wake up every morning and choose to enjoy every second God grants me with my children.

I want to turn my back on what the world says is important and look full in the face of Jesus to discover what truly matters.

I want to be grateful for every single blessing in my life.

I want to talk to people and resist saying ‘I’, ‘me’ or ‘my’.

I want to know that pride is a sin, but so is low self-esteem.

I want to be brave when I fail and humble when I don’t.

I want to be courageous in Christ.

I want all that I do and say to glorify my Lord.

And in all of it, and above all else, I want to be His servant.

Labels: ,