Monday, April 21, 2008

First American Idol and now a CBS Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movie. Really, what is this blog becoming!!

I have so much to say that I just know already, I'm going to miss something. I actually took notes while I was watching the movie last night, so a little insight into my geekiness.

I hope you were all able to watch it, but if not, 'Sweet Nothings in My Ear' is a movie about a deaf mom and a hearing dad who are conflicted over whether or not to implant their deaf son. I think I started crying when I heard the intro music. (yes, a little over-emotional) It was a beautiful intro with the hands signing, speaking without words. I knew I was in trouble.

Almost immediately there was a birthday party for the son, and they were signing 'Happy Birthday'. My memories literally flew back to Rhyan's first birthday party. We had found out only a few weeks before that she was deaf, so we all learned 'Happy Birthday' in sign language. I watch the video now and just sob. She was mesmerized by our hands in motion and started moving her hands along with us. I guess that's why I have so much to say about this movie. The memories it envoked were painfully strong.

Of course I have my opinion on why the Cochlear Implant worked so well for our family, but I am so grateful for this movie because it gave me insight into the deaf community. When the mom said that if there was something wrong with her son, there was something wrong with her, I felt that pain and better understood why so many deaf people are opposed to the implant.

But, how I feel is simple. There isn't a single thing wrong with Rhyan. I've said it before, God made her perfectly. She is exactly how He designed her and she is perfect. And I have no doubts that without the implant she wouldn't have grown up to be extremely successful in anything she desired. But, that doesn't stop us, as her parents, from wanting to make things easier for her. And the dad said that, too. It isn't admitting she's not right, it's helping bust down obstacles.

The ending to me couldn't have been better. There were no decisions made. They agreed that the best thing for their son was to have his family together. And it ending showing them as a united front. That, to me, spoke volumes to the hearing and deaf community alike---the Cochlear Implant is an individual family decision. That's it.

So, to the cast and the producers of the film, who will never, ever read my blog and probably wouldn't give a hoot about my opinion, well done. Well done.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=23451

Labels: , ,