Wednesday, April 23, 2008

On the movie, 'Sweet Nothings in My Ear', they stated that the majority of deaf people read at a 4th grade level by the time they finish high school. My thoughts immediately went back to just the night before. Matt and I were on a date to the bookstore and I was so excited to buy Rhy her first devotional.

The book is called 'God's Little Princess' devotional Bible by Sheila Walsh, and it is the most precious thing I've ever seen. I looked over the devotionals in the children's section and when I spotted this one, I actually put my coffee down so I wouldn't have to let go of the book. On the cover is a princess crown, complete with diamonds and glitter. My girl.

When we picked the girls up from Grammy and PaPa's, I gave them their books and it was like Rhyan had received the only thing she ever asked for in the whole world. I've never seen a child more taken with books. She did not let go of the book that night and slept with it under her pillow. We read from it Sunday night and I listened to that sweet voice as she said the words of praise to her Jesus. It was more than I could have hoped for 6 years ago when we were told she may never learn to read. It was yet another miracle that she can voice.

On Monday, I brought her book with me when I picked her up from school. She climbed into the car and buckled herself in. So grown up. I handed her the book and she yelled, 'Thank you, Mommy!!' with the same enthusiasm of the night she received it. Then she said, "You know I sleep with my hand on this, so that I'll dream about Jesus."

We read from the devotional together tonight, and our time together learning about our God is truly priceless. She read about Elizabeth giving birth to John in her old age and said, 'He's also called John the Baptist.'

Yes, she's reading. But even better, she's learning. Sweet dreams, Baby.

Labels: