Thursday, December 13, 2007

I have been an underachiever with Mary Kay, Creative Memories, and anything else that involves asking people to spend their money. It’s just not in my nature to ask for things. I think that’s one of the biggest reasons that Rhyan’s Hope has been a little nerve-racking. I believe in the cause. I’ve seen the miracles. But, even asking for a dollar was difficult. It wasn’t until yesterday that I understood more clearly. Rhyan’s Hope isn’t just about raising money to provide cochlear implants. It’s about our story.

We had business cards printed up for Rhyan’s Hope, and I handed them out to people that I care about at the YMCA that weren’t on my email list. They are people that have known Rhyan as a baby, took care of her with her hearing aids, kept watch over her and made sure she was extremely careful while playing in the weeks following her surgeries. They are people I love. I handed my first card to one of the child watch workers, and she asked, “Do you want my money now?” I was so taken aback. I immediately said, “No, I just want you to read her story.”

Rhyan’s Hope is definitely about helping little ones get cochlear implants. It will take funds. But what I want more than anything is for every life to be changed by what they read, and what they see God accomplish. When I say that it’s about our story, it is. It’s about Rhyan, Matt, Evynn, me and our family. But it’s about you, too. This is your story now. Thank you so much for the part you’ve played.

We love you to pieces.

Labels: ,