Tuesday, June 10, 2008

While teaching Evynn to swim, I’ve learned priceless truths about the condition of my soul. Each time Evynn gets into the pool, she takes one timid step at a time until she is submerged up to her waist. She remains on that step, refusing rather loudly to move from her spot and swim toward her daddy. She desperately wants the freedom to swim, but she is a prisoner on that step because of her blatant stubbornness. As Matt moves closer, Evynn soon decides to take that leap, trusting that her daddy will find her and pull her to safety.

She takes a deep breath, jumps from her place and begins to move with her head under the water. The feeling of not being able to breathe temporarily makes her flail. And then she sees Matt’s hands under the water. She reaches out and grabs him, and he lifts her close to him. She catches her breath and with the biggest smile says, “I did it Daddy!”

I’ve been battling my rebellious heart for nearly six months. In my rebellion, I’ve been a self-imposed prisoner on that bottom step. I’ve desperately wanted to swim to freedom. I’ve wanted to move to the place where God desires for me to be, but yet I’ve refused to move. Over the last few weeks, I’ve prayed God closer. And He moved toward me. But then He wanted me to go toward Him. Last week, I took that leap back to my Father. I flailed in my fear. And then I saw His hands under the water. I took them and He lifted me close to Him so I could catch my breath. And when I did, I gratefully, ecstatically, and tearfully said, “I did it Daddy!”