Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My youngest daughter, Evynn, has freakishly keen ears. She knows when someone tiptoes past her bedroom, even though the fan is loud and a towel blocks the light of the crack at the base of her door. I can’t say anything under my breath and if the dog barks while she’s napping, well, I just start to her bedroom because I know it’s all over.

So, when I was putting Evynn’s hair up in a pony tail this morning, I was rather shocked to find that she was wearing Rhyan’s baby hearing aids. Both ears. I started laughing from the strangeness of it. But, then I was just as quickly comforted by it. I don’t know how many times I’ve worried about how others will respond to Rhyan. Will they make fun of her, will they laugh at her, will they think she’s less of a person? Today I realized that they might.

Or maybe they’ll want to be just like her.

Labels: