Wednesday, July 09, 2008


I sit here tonight and ponder what I could do with $2000. I could go to TJ Maxx and have a blast. I could have Lasik surgery. I could have a couple cups of my very favorite Starbucks lattes. I could get two of those amazing gemstone rings I’ve been eyeing at Sam’s Club for the past 7 years.

Or I could buy my dog’s life.

Remington Prescott started messing the floor early yesterday morning, and we soon discovered blood in his urine. In one extremely short afternoon, our first ‘baby’ was diagnosed with bladder stones (one of which was lodged in a very personal puppy place) and we had a decision to make. We could go through with the surgery, or we could have him put down. Matt was on one side of the fence, I was on the other. My constant flow of tears and a quick visit with Remi in his kennel brought Matt through the gate to my side. We are going to gain a healthy dog and lose a chunk of our savings.

Realizing that our lives will suffer financially has strangely brought me peace. While I’ve never paid for a manicure, never had a Pedi, color my own hair, gain my hair styles from the closest Super Cuts, and grocery shop at Walmart, this still hits hard. But, another financial blow means that one more finger is being loosened in my clutch of the things of this world.

So, I will praise God in His infinite wisdom and I will be grateful for the gifts He’s given me. Including the one with a tail and floppy ears

Labels: