Tuesday, May 08, 2007

It had already been a particularly difficult evening. Matt and I were putting Rhyan to bed and our routine usually includes reading a book, telling a story, praying and then we stay for 5 minutes before giving hugs and saying 'good-night'. We were laying next to her in silence for our last 5 minutes when she asked the question I continually prepare myself to answer – “Why can’t I hear?”

I was really caught off-guard. We talk about her ears and her new ear so often that I was assuming that the question would come up during one of those conversations. For a moment I didn’t remember the answer. She said, ‘Because Jesus made me this way?’ Her ears were off, so I nodded and kissed her cheek. She started crying and asked, ‘But why?’

I put her ears back on and I told her with all the truth in me, that Jesus chose her. I told her that she is special and He chose her to tell the world about how amazing He is. When she was born she couldn’t hear and now she can. She is a miracle. I held her and kissed her and hoped that she wouldn't feel my tears hit her face.

God spared me my water shed until now as I’m writing this. She’s never seen me cry about her ears. I guess I’m not really crying about her deafness now. I’m crying because she’s so innocent. She’s so precious, and if she thinks for one moment that she can’t hear because of something she’s done, then my heart is crushed. Her daddy’s heart is crushed.

With every ounce of honesty, I can say that I would not change a single thing about that child. I believe what I told her with all of my being. She is special. She is a miracle. And she was chosen to tell the world about how amazing her God is. Until she is old enough to tell her story, I will take the torch and tell her story for her, even if the flame scorches me every once in a while. But I know even now as I’m writing this that when I hand that torch over, it will burn even brighter. And the world will see His light.

Labels: